Monday, March 7, 2011

Hemingway and Fitzgerald

It's exciting to be in familiar territory. Fitzgerald was required reading in 8th or 9th grade. Our class stumbled through The Great Gatsby as a group but I gripped onto the story for the frailty and imperfections of the characters and the gorgeous angular details of the Art Deco era. Hemingway and I started our affair in high school as well. Hills Like White Elephants was the beginning of it all. I love his raunchy manly sensibilities and the way he shows non-traditional couples reacting to tragedies of love.

There's talk of these two fellahs being one of the original bromances. I guess they were friends. Met in 1925, I hear. But I'm not sure how tight they were. Plato and Socrates tight? The photo above looks pretty photo-shopped to me. I don't know.

The life of F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife, Zelda, was recently captured on stage in an off-broadway production called "This Side of Paradise". (I didn't see this production, but I was lucky enough to hear a little about it while it was up. One of my best friends from high school played Young Zelda: Rachel Moulton. She's fantastic. That's her and Fitzy to the left there. I'm so proud of her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment